Here are my final cubes. I reprinted them all to improve my craftwork, and used the color images on the third cube.
And here are the reflection question answers.
What was your biggest challenge and how did you overcome it?
I honestly think my biggest challenge of this project was getting the craft up to standards. Assembling the cubes was extremely difficult for me…lining things up, and glueing tabs without getting glue on the printed surfaces was extremely difficult. I eventually got it by taking my time and after a few revisions, but it was still extremely frustrating at times. The final cubes took me several hours to fold and assemble.
What discoveries have you made throughout the project?
I think the main discovery I made throughout the project was that I always wanted to make things more complicated than necessary. With each revision of my cubes, I greatly simplified the overall scheme, and yet I believe they became stronger with each simplification. I brought the cubes from probably 12-15 images to just 3, and although the intricacies of my cubes still make them fairly complicated, I think they have improved greatly.
What have you learned or experienced from working on the 2D narrative project to the 3D Cube project?
As odd as it sounds, before this project, I hadn’t ever really worked on a “series” of works, so making the 3D project relate back to the 2D project was a new experience, yet an exciting one. I really enjoyed my 2D project idea, so being able to literally take that to another dimension was fun. It was quite a challenge to make it all work, but I enjoyed the process immensely.
How has your ideas about graphic design changed since you began the class?
I think the main change in my perspective of graphic design was the “media” it is displayed in. Before this class, I assumed graphic design was entirely on the computer. After the process work in the first two projects, I found that working with my hands was actually quite beneficial (especially with the cubes; trying to mentally figure out how they would fold from the images on the computer was nearly impossible). I especially realized this with the in-class project using old magazines. It was tough to come up with ideas that quickly, but my final “poster” from that day was surprisingly complete and interesting…I would love to photograph that and bring it onto the computer to add type and actually use it someday. Before this class, I would never have considered tangible material for graphic design.